Life has been extremely busy of late. I know, it's ALWAYS busy at our house, but it has been overwhelmingly busy the last couple of months. Hannah got married, I was asked to join the Holiday Quilt Board for IHC Research and Medical Foundation (formerly known as the Desert Foundation), while continuing to try and be a wife of the Stake president, mother of the 2 children still at home, do my Visiting Teaching, and help with the Primary program. I confess that I am not doing a very good job of any of these. When the hives broke out that is when I learned Lesson #1... that I am not Super Woman... who knew?
I actually like being busy, I always have, that is why I have always been involved with the PTA. Ever since my oldest was in elementary school I have been a room mother, and just about every PTA/PTSA Board position there is, including President... twice... at the Jr. High. Most of my friends have done the same. I feel comfortable there, with my PTA friends. I know how it all works. I know every one's strengths and their weaknesses and.... sorry to say... they know mine. I love them all and they have learned to love me. And somehow we have all meshed into a great team. Our talents have all complimented each other and compensated for each other. And I have never worried much that the school activities wouldn't all work out great! Which they have! These are some really talented ladies I have worked with!
But, now... a new school. My youngest son decided that he wanted to attend a different school than his siblings have all attended. I have seen a few familiar faces from the Middle School, but I have felt a little uneasy because I don't recognize everyone and there are all new teachers (except 2 who transferred from the middle school and my old boy friend... yep... old boy friend teaches there, too, but I'm used to that... he transferred from the high school my other children attended). Youngest son is not the best student. He's smart, but forgetful about dates and turning things in on time, and I have struggled for years to try and get him organized. My 2nd son was the same way and he didn't get it until half way through his Junior year. I'm praying this one gets it before then. But the problem is, there is no history with these new teachers. They don't know my family... they don't know my other kids (my daughters, who always get things done in a timely manner and have been student body officers, and in choir and debate and my oldest son, who was captain of the golf team, and is also a good basketball player or even my 2nd son who is extremely talented at making movies and was on the high school TV show and did an internship at Spy Hop, and has won awards for some of his movies and has a web-cast with one of his friends , that gets viewed all over the world and is especially liked in Japan), and... they don't know me. It's a little frightening being the new kid on the block (and I'm talking about me, not Youngest Son).
Throw in a wedding... of a daughter... a daughter who has had an opinion about every tiny detail of her wedding. I never did with my own wedding. Well, I might have had an opinion, but was too busy with school and work, so I was happy to let my mother take over that job, and it was all just lovely without my input.
Then, just a few weeks before the wedding, I was asked to be on the Quilt Board. "Okay," I think, "Quilt Show and Auction are every-other-year, and the next show is in November, so I'm sure they are all ready for it and that I will just observe and learn so that I can help with the next show in 2013." Wrong! Would I help with the displays of the quilts? I meet two wonderful ladies who I will be working with. They have been working on this project for 2 years. They know the names of all the quilts. They have seen it all done before. I don't know anything. They ask me to be in charge of 5 quilts and then just for fun, would I be in charge of over-seeing the set up of the Christmas Section? The Christmas Section!! I don't even really like Christmas! I know, everyone loves Christmas... except me. I love Halloween! And although I am in charge of the displays for 3 of the quilts in the Christmas Section, I don't really know what they have planned for the displays of the other 5 quilts, whose names I can never remember, even if they have told me before.
Ohhhh yes, and to make it even more chaotic, or maybe I should make that "caustic", let's throw in a Stake Social the day after the Quilt Show starts! Yikes!
This is when the hives arrived! And this is when I realized that I am not Super Woman, or Wonder Woman, or even Bat Girl! And now I'm dealing with the hives, too. Itch, itch, itch... antihistamine... relief... itch, itch... more antihistamine...
Today, I am breathing a little easier but I'm tired!
The wedding is over. It went pretty well... except for the group of invitations that got lost in the mail... sorry, if you never got yours. We tried, and you were not alone. We just got one returned from California this last Friday... only 2 weeks after the wedding or is it 3? I've lost track.
The Quilt Show got set up... with lots of help from the other board members and their sisters and mothers... and mine. There were only a few hurt feelings... but I won't go into that here.
The Stake Social was Saturday. It went off with only one little hitch... Subway sandwiches cut our 12" sandwiches in half, when they were supposed to cut them in thirds. They did realize it before we went to pick them up, but we had to order more sandwiches to make up for it.
I realized I was tired... just today... while I was on the treadmill (which I haven't had time nor energy to do for a couple of weeks). My mind wanted to go longer so I could read my book (yes, I read on the treadmill), but my body just couldn't do it. I need to save what is left of my strength for tonight. I'm hosting at the Quilt Show. Please come see me and those really, really beautiful quilts!! The cost is only $5 and it goes to a great cause... medical research, and medical devices, etc... which may save your life or the life of someone you love someday. If I'm asleep and/or itching when you get there, just smile and give me a little nudge so I'll wake up. If you can't come tonight, come another time. It goes from 9:30am - 8:30pm from now through Thursday at The Little America on the Mezzanine Level (2nd floor). Bring your friends, sister(s), mothers or even husband... you'll love it!! You might even like my displays.
Becky - remember this post in the future when things seem to be piling up, and then remember to say "No". It really is OK to say no. No one will think the less of you.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with overcoming the new kid on the block at East.